Google Docs & Spreadsheets is a fine tool for composing documents online. The advantages of using Google Docs & Spreadsheets is conversation for another day, but I will tell you this - how you can compose and publish your blog posts from Google Docs & Spreadsheets to Blogger beta. So the obvious question is why would you want to compose your posts in GD&S rather than using the built-in editor provided by Blogger beta?
- Auto save - You will not lose your post if you inadvertently close the tab/browser. GD&S constantly auto saves your document at regular intervals.
- Spell checking - The Blogger beta post editor provides no means to spell check your posts.
- More control - GD&S provides advanced options when inserting rich elements like images, links, and tables into your posts.
- Interface - The editing interface of GD&S is more akin to a full featured document editor.
Although GD&S does not support publishing to Blogger beta directly, I have successfully been able to configure GD&S to publish to Blogger beta. GD&S help center provides documentation on how to publish your documents on any blog, but these will generally not work for Blogger beta. To publish to Blogger beta using GD&S:
- Click on "Settings" in the upper right corner of your GD&S home page.
- In the "Documents" tab, select "edit info" in the "Blog settings" section.
- In the "Blog Site Settings" dialog,
- Choose My own server / custom
- API: Blogger API
- URL: http://beta.blogger.com/api
- Enter your user name and password
- (Optional) Enter your Blog ID/Title
- If you host multiple blogs on Blogger beta, I strongly recommend entering the Blog ID/Title to ensure that your posts are published to the desired blog.
- Select any desired options
You are done!
Full Disclosure: Tecnirvana runs on Blogger beta. This post was published using Google Docs & Spreadsheets.
Update: I have discovered that publishing from GD&S does not provide a title to your post. This means that you will not get a permalink to your post. I have edited this post in Blogger beta editor to give it a title.
Tags: google, google docs, blogger beta